- Sequence pictures of the steps involved in changing a pad or tampon.
- Sort and choose pictures of the items required to take care of feminine hygiene concerns.
- Read or write a social story about having your period. Think about writing about cramps, blood, changing pads, choosing between tampons and pads, dealing with odor, keeping this private, etc.
- Read the steps involved in changing a pad - glue a matching picture beside.
- post sequences for performing these tasks in the washroom that the student will use.
- Demonstrate blood with red food colouring on a pad. Practice folding, wrapping and throwing away.
- Have students practice wearing pads to get used to the feeling before their period starts.
Menstruation social stories.
A social story about menstruation. Another is available here: Social Story 2.
What To Expect with Menstruation
Girls and Puberty
A guide for parents and educators.
An instructional guide for PARENTS / CAREGIVERS
of individuals with developmental disabilities
Kindergarten through 12th grade resources.